How to become a Games Master
Are you interested in the urban development? Do you like the concept of the Future City Game?
Are you interested in the urban development? Do you like the concept of the Future City Game? As a Games Master, you will lead the players and provide tools to help them work together and develop new innovative ideas for a district, an area or a city.
Your training will contain five steps:
Step 1: Meet selection criteria
You need to demonstrate that you have:
- Experience of facilitating processes - ensure that the Future City Game (FCG) keeps focus and the teams successfully come through all steps
- Event management skills - ability to manage an event over two days and ensuring appropriate venue, refreshments etc. are in place
- Proven record of creating networks and ensuring these networks can collaborate on a project like FCG - engage with the right stakeholders
- Some knowledge of cities and regeneration - do thorough research of the issue of a place
- Ability to ensure ideas are carried forward or implemented
If you think you meet the criteria, download the application form here. You will also need to prove support from an organisation which will hold the license.
Step 2: Attend FCG as player
The feedback from the games up-to-date informs us that people need to experience FCG first-hand in order to understand the dynamics of the game.
Step 3: Read the Games Master manual and the Start up manual
This means understanding of the theoretical framework behind the Future City Game. You should then write a detailed three-page strategy for a game, though not necessarily one that will happen.
This will be assessed by an existing Games Master and approved by the central administrator.
Step 4: Co-Games Master a FCG with a licensed Games Master but in the role of an assistant
Be the assistant of an experienced Games Master anywhere and:
- Introduce 1 or 2 steps to the players.
- Contribute to the local dossier
- Contribute to the Games Master report
Step 5: Successfully run a Future City Game
Now your time will come. You will have your first game, your first players. An accredited and licensed Games Master will supervise the running of a game and will report back to the central FCG administrator about the event.
After successful completion of this step, you will be issued the license of a Games Master. You should then run FCG once a year to remain licensed. Resource needs to be available for community building, i.e. seminars, online communities etc.
Additional notes on recruitment and training of Games Masters:
The costs for training the Games Master, for example, any time the accredited Games Master spends with the new Games Master will need to be covered by the new GMs sponsoring Licensee partner.
How to become a Games Master - process